Loutro is a beautiful white-washed village and hidden gem in the South Coast of Crete. Whether you choose to stay for 2 days or 1 week, there are many beautiful hotels in Loutro Crete to stay at.
Completely inaccessible by car, the village has an offbeat vibe to it as you can only reach it by foot or by boat. It makes the experience of staying in this gorgeous town so worth it. Once arriving at the town, you can discover the area and its surrounding trails by foot or swim in its pristine blue waters.
If you’re planning a holiday to Crete, this is your ultimate guide to the most beautiful hotels in Loutro Crete. From beachfront properties, to mountainous views, there are many places to stay in Loutro that you can choose from.
As such, this guide will go through the most beautiful hotels in Loutro Crete. We will compare the various options you can consider when planning your trip to this offbeat, white-washed village in Greece.
Where is Loutro Crete?
Loutro is located in the offbeat region of Sfakia facing the Libya Sea. It’s about a 2 hour drive away from the main town of Chania where the international airport is located.
Loutro Crete is known to be the most southern point of Europe. It was once the port of Anopolis and the former home to the ancient city of Phoenix. Due to its offbeat location, the town is an absolute paradise for those looking for an off-grid experience. It’s not at all crowded and the facilities are managed by locals.
You will not find any roads built for cars and you can completely walk around town. You can even go further to one of the many hiking trails the area offers. Finally, discovering this white-washed village by foot leads you to many hidden pathways and secret lookouts.
If you decide to spend time in one of the most beautiful hotels in Loutro Crete, you can get a taste of what a relaxed and paradise destination in Greece should look like, away from mass tourism.
How to Get to Loutro Crete
Ferry from Chora Sfakion to Loutro Crete
The easiest and fastest way to get from Chora Sfakion to Loutro would be by boat. The ferry ride takes only 20 minutes and costs about 6 euros.
You can buy the tickets from a small booth at Chora Sfakion. Otherwise, you can buy tickets in the boat. For reference, there is usually a boat every 2 hours starting from 10am until 7pm.
You can also find the boat schedules from this link, if you want to plan your trip in advance.
If you’re unsure how to travel from Chania Town to Chora Sfakion, you can check our article on this below.
Hiking from Chora Sfakion to Loutro Crete
If you decide to hike to Loutro, make sure to stop by the beautiful Sweetwater Beach Crete. Here, you can swim at the blue waters, eat at the Tavern, or simply relax. Below, you can find more information about this amazing beach in Crete.
Most Beautiful Hotels in Loutro Crete
If you’re looking for a hotel in Loutro that is near the beach, then Hotel Anna is a great choice. Below we discuss the reasons why it is one of the most beautiful hotels in Loutro Crete:
- The cost per night starts at from 35 euros.
- This price is good for 2 people and you can choose a room with a sea view.
- It’s located right at the steps of the wonderful Loutro Beach. This also means that it is located at the center of the town, where you can find restaurants, bars, cafes and shops.
- The hotel has its own restaurant with delicious seafood.
- The interiors of the hotel feature those ever so incredible white walls and blue doors that are totally instagram-worthy.
Another beach front hotel is Hotel Kyma. This gorgeous and more luxurious option is found on the other side of the village, offering views of the entire coastline. Here are the reasons why we recommend it as one of the most beautiful hotels in Loutro Crete.
- The cost per night starts at 50 euros.
- This rate is good for 2 people and entails a mountain view. You can get a sea view if you take the higher priced room for an additional 20 euros.
- This white-washed hotel is also located at the main boardwalk of Loutro with a beachfront restaurant.
- From your balcony, you’ll have a wonderful view of the boats that come in and out of the port.
Further down the coast of Loutro is Hotel Sifis. This hotel is a bit more away from town but promises the most incredible views of the coastline. It’s also a great option for bigger groups or families.
Here are the reasons why we recommend it as one of best hotels in Loutro Crete.
- The cost per night starts at 70 euros but this rate is for their triple room so the space is larger.
- The rate also comes with breakfast.
- It is located at a quieter part of town, yet still accessible to the main boardwalk with all the restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- The hotel has their own restaurant that is located right by the ocean, giving you the illusion that you are floating amidst the water.
- The balconies are larger than the other hotels in Loutro Crete that we have seen. The bathrooms are also more modern.
Another great find in a more tranquil part of town is Daskalogiannis Hotel. It’s perfect for families or couples on their honeymoon. Here are the reasons why we recommend it as one of the most beautiful places to stay in Loutro Crete:
- The cost per night starts at 75 euros.
- This price is good for 2 people, entails a beachfront view, and comes with a delicious breakfast.
- The rooms are beautifully designed with wooden touches, making it one of the best hotels in Loutro Crete.
- The hotel also has many room options for families and bigger groups.
- The view of balcony does not only entail the sea beyond but also the coarse-toned mountains that surround Loutro Crete.
- It has a restaurant directly by the beach and is easily accessible to the restaurants in the main commercial area.
Taverna Akrogiali is not exactly in Loutro town center itself but on the other side of the mountain in a remote area. It’s very affordable and entails a peaceful experience for more offbeat travelers. Below we discuss the reasons why we recommend it as one of the most beautiful hotels in Loutro Crete.
- The cost per night starts at 30 euros.
- This price is good for 2 to 3 people and entails a balcony with sea view.
- The hotel offers free transportation from Loutro Port to their hotel so you don’t need to worry about how to get there.
- For an additional 5 euros, you can avail a room with free breakfast with a rate starting from 40 euros.
- The hotel has their own beach and terrace, but because it’s so remote, you can have the coast all to yourself.
- There are many great trails to discover in the area surrounding the hotel.
- There is a hotel restaurant to order drinks or food from all throughout the day.
Is it Worth Visiting Loutro Crete?
Is it worth visiting Loutro Crete and staying for a few days or even a week? Absolutely! If you’re the type of traveler who likes an offbeat experience and plenty of hiking adventures, then Loutro is fantastic destination.
This town, featuring white houses and blue roofs, windows and doors, has so much offer in terms of its architectural beauty, outdoor activities, and pristine blue waters.
You can choose to stay in one of the most beautiful hotels in Loutro Crete and then, swim in the nearby beaches, hike from Loutro all the way to the historical city of Anopolis, Sweetwater (Glyka Nera) Beach, or the incredible Aradena Gorge.
By boat from Loutro, there are also many excursions possible such as heading to Aradena Gorge, just off the coast of Marmara Beach, or to the further areas of Agia Roumeli, Lissos, Elafonissi Beach, and Krios Beach.
For more information, we created a list of the best things to do near Loutro Crete which include these suggestions in the link below:
Conclusion: Most Beautiful Places to Stay in Loutro Crete
So there you have it! We hope this guide helps you find the most beautiful hotels in Loutro Crete and that you have a wonderful trip to this offbeat destination.
We’d like to think that this part of Greece and Crete is still very much untouched by mass tourism and what a real holiday in the country should look like before it got too crowded.
If you’ve ever traveled to Crete, have you had the chance to visit Loutro? Where were the most beautiful hotels in Loutro Crete for you? Did you think Loutro was worth visiting and did you decide to stay for a few days too?
We’d love to hear your travel stories and recommendations in the comments below!